Monday, February 23, 2009

Scary day, but better now

I went to the study appointment and the ultrasound technician couldn't tell "for sure" if it was a boy or girl, but there was no evidence of that extra part. She said if she "had to make a guess she would bet it was a girl" but again, not certain. But a third girl is fine by me -- I already have all the stuff and I know how to handle girls :-).

The ultrasound was very fun, the baby was doing somersaults, yawning (or at least opening her mouth wide), kicking, punching and very healthy!!! So then why the scary day? Yesterday I woke up to a pretty strong contraction. Braxton Hicks, I'm sure. Then within a few minutes there was another and then another. Since my history of pre-term labor I decided to play it safe, drink lots of water and stay in bed. The contractions never got closer or more regular but they didn't stop until late in the evening -- Doesn't sound like much on paper but at the time I was terrified. The good news is that they did pretty much stop by late last night and I am up and about with minor (almost unnoticeable) tightening today. WHEW!!!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Glad the contractions went away. Do you think it's a girl? Do you dream about her and stuff? What about names? How fun. Did you hear Kirsten is moving back!

Krishele said...

I'm glad to hear that you're doing ok. I'm sure with the pre-term history that would get you all sorts of worried. I think I started with some pretty frequent braxton hicks at the end of my first trimester with Andrew and (fun for me) they continued on until the day I had him. But hey, if that has anything to do with how much better the delivery was than my first...I'll take those any day of the week! So, I guess what I'm saying is that contractions that early on in a pregnancy is weird, but not completely uncommon and nothing to worry too much about. But like I said, with your history, probably no amount of reassuring from me will help you feel better about having them...